Building NeoOffice is not for the impatient or for those who are not comfortable using Unix build and debugging tools like cvs, make, gcc, and gdb. This is largely due to the fact the NeoOffice build is very dependent on the OpenOffice build. So, if you find the OpenOffice build too complex or irritating, you will find the NeoOffice build equally complex and irritating.
A side affect of the above is that if, for some reason, you cannot get NeoOffice to build, you are on your own. There are way too many things that can break the build ranging from changes in the OpenOffice code to using a new version of Apple's developer tools.
NeoOffice 2014.8 Free Edition can only be built on Mac OS X 10.8.
NeoOffice 2014.8 can only be built on Mac OS X 10.8.
NeoOffice 3.4.1 can only be built on Mac OS X 10.6.
- The fastest machine you can find and a minimum of 1 GB of memory. A slow machine will work but you can't reduce the memory and you won't really be able to use a slow machine for anything else while you are building NeoOffice.
- A minimum of 25 GB of free hard disk space for the source and build files and another 1.5 GB of free disk space for installing the build binary.
- Lots of free time and/or patience. The build, if it doesn't break, can take up to 36 hours to finish even on a fairly fast machine.
First, create an empty directory in a volume that has the minimum free disk space. The instructions in this document will refer to this empty directory as $NEO_HOME.
You can get the NeoOffice sources by checking out the source from the NeoOffice CVS repository.
To checkout the source from the CVS repository, open a new Terminal in the Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and execute the following commands:
- cd "$NEO_HOME"
- cvs -d :pserver:email@example.com:/cvs login
- Enter the password anoncvs
NeoOffice 2014.8 Free Edition: cvs -d :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs co -r NeoOffice-2014_8_Free_Edition NeoOffice
NeoOffice 2014.8: cvs -d :pserver:email@example.com:/cvs co -r NeoOffice-2014_8 NeoOffice
NeoOffice 3.4.1: cvs -d :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs co -r NeoOffice-3_4_1-12 NeoOffice
After you get the source code, you will need to take some steps to setup a build properly. The required steps are listed in the "$NEO_HOME/README.txt" file. You must follow all of the required steps before you start building NeoOffice.
Once you have followed all of the required steps, run the build by opening a new Terminal and executing the following commands:
- cd "$NEO_HOME/neojava"
- make all
Important: make will check out and build the OpenOffice sources. Not only will this take quite a long time (between 24 and 36 hours), but it may fail if OpenOffice goes down or you lose your internet connection.
If the build was successful, you should find the following files: $NEO_HOME/neojava/install*/*.dmg.