Building NeoOffice is not for the impatient or for those who are not comfortable using Unix build and debugging tools like make, cc, and lldb. This is largely due to the fact the NeoOffice build is very dependent on the OpenOffice and LibreOffice builds. So, if you find the OpenOffice or LibreOffice builds too complex or irritating, you will find the NeoOffice build equally complex and irritating.
A side affect of the above is that if, for some reason, you cannot get NeoOffice to build, you are on your own. There are way too many things that can break the build ranging from changes in the OpenOffice or LibreOffice code to using a new version of Apple's developer tools.
NeoOffice 2017 can only be built on macOS Sierra or macOS Mojave.
NeoOffice 2015 can only be built on OS X Mountain Lion.
NeoOffice 3.4.1 can only be built on OS X Snow Leopard.
- The fastest machine you can find and a minimum of 16 GB of memory. A slow machine will work but you can't reduce the memory and you won't really be able to use a slow machine for anything else while you are building NeoOffice.
- A minimum of 30 GB of free hard disk space for the source and build files and another 1.5 GB of free disk space for installing the build binary.
- Lots of free time and/or patience. The build, if it doesn't break, can take up to 36 hours to finish even on a fairly fast machine.
You can download the NeoOffice sources from the following links:
After you download and uncompress the source code, you will need to take some steps to setup a build properly. The required steps are listed in the <uncompressed source folder>/README.txt file. You must follow all of the required steps before you start building NeoOffice.
Once you have followed all of the required steps, run the build by opening a new Terminal and executing the following commands:
- cd "<uncompressed source folder>"
- make all
If the build was successful, you should find the following files:
- <uncompressed source folder>/install*/*.dmg